poodle "smell".

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

poodle "smell".
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> General Poodle
::  
raikougal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: poodle "smell". Reply with quote

No, I'm not talking about stench, here, guys. Wink

Since I've owned two poodles in the past, I've noticed that they have their very own sort of scent. They don't smell like other dogs, you know, the typical "doggy" smell. Instead I've noticed that they have a unique, almost "baby powder-ish" smell. I know Patty, my first poodle, had that smell and Vivi has a very similar one. I'm not crazy because I have a friend who had a poodle and she said she noticed it as well. (Of course she also noticed the "dirty poodle" smell and compared that to "rotten nachos", LOL!)

Anybody else here notice it? ^_^

(Sorry I haven't been on in awhile, RL swallowed me up. Rolling Eyes )

-§parky
Enneirda

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My crew get bathed weekly, once it wears of they smell like dirt and grass from so much playing, and I bath them again lol. What is RL?
raikougal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enneirda wrote:
My crew get bathed weekly, once it wears of they smell like dirt and grass from so much playing, and I bath them again lol. What is RL?

I was talking about a clean smell, not a dirty one. ^_^;;

And RL = Real Life. Wink

-§parky
HarleysMom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little Ginger has frito feet! I love the smell of her little toes Laughing
Anyone else have a frito feet baby?
Enneirda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know lol. Grassy earthy smells aren't bad to me, just annoying when the dogs are sitting on my pillow. Rolling Eyes

What I meant is, my dogs never get a neutral smell that's all there own.They smell like shampoo, it wears off and I bath them again. If there is a in between smell, it's normally a grassy one.
raikougal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enneirda wrote:
I know lol. Grassy earthy smells aren't bad to me, just annoying when the dogs are sitting on my pillow. Rolling Eyes

What I meant is, my dogs never get a neutral smell that's all there own.They smell like shampoo, it wears off and I bath them again. If there is a in between smell, it's normally a grassy one.

My bad. ^_^;; I misunderstood you.

It may just be me that's noticed it because when I ask my Mom about it, she's never noticed it.

I don't bathe Vivi that often because I heard a long time ago that bathing more than once every 6 weeks (unless they get very very dirty) strips their skin of essential oils or something like that. She also doesn't go out except to go to the bathroom (we don't have a fence, so I'm not letting her out by herself. Yike! D: ) so that's probably why I noticed it a little bit more.

BTW, your babies are beautiful. I've been meaning to ask--is Christmas a new addition? Very Happy

-§parky
Virangos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester has an odor all his own, Not bad, not shampooie just a smell.

In dog Years I/m Dead

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enneirda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never found a problem with bathing weekly, and I've never taken the care to use special shampoo's ether. We do this with many of our dogs, non of them have ever had bad skin or fur from it.

Thank you. Very Happy Yes, Christmas is my newest pup. I've had her for around three months now. She's doing well, her main issue is house training, after three years outside she is not getting it lol. Here is the thread I made for her, it has all her info if you are interested. http://www.thetoypoodle.com/viewtopic.php?t=5456
lorie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I don't use my super duper expensive shampoo I use baby powder shampoo and matching colonge, so mine DO smell like baby powder!!

I'm pretty sure that you can over- bathe some breeds but poos aren't one of them unless there is a problem to begin with. That;s what I learned in school and seems true as I bathe oodles of poodles on a regular basis Smile
poodlin'

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes-don't you love poodle smell! they don't s-t-i-n-k like an outdoor kennel dog can ---don't have that greasy oily coat like a lab or a hound or doberman etc. Part of the joy of having poodles. My boy has stinky feet like fritos (because he ocd licks them probably) but no body odor, even after months of no bath (unless he rolls in critter).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> General Poodle All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: