Separation anxiety?

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Separation anxiety?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Behaviour and Training
::  
blakemama

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Separation anxiety? Reply with quote

Our new forever poodle, Zach, has become quite attached to me. He cries when I go to the bathroom. He's been here exactly one week. I love that he loves me, but what can I do to help him cope with some temporary, but necessary absences? I cannot take him everywhere, y'know.

He's loving to Joe and Johnny, but he is my little cream-colored shadow.
marge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread about the poodles and bathroom thing, most said they let them go to the bath room with them.for the shower and other
I do mine too. But they dont cry if I dont let them, they just wait by the door.
For being a shadow,I have the same thing with cookie,she was a year old when I got her.
Where ever I am she is, I leave a room she follows. She even wants me to sit outside while she plays. When I dont she sits and looks thru the glass to see if she can see me cooking
Is your dog howling when you leave to shop etc?Or is satisfied staying there with your other dog? Mine doesnt cry for me when I leave in the car. I do the telling them " I'll be right back" mama will be right back"
So they both understand that now.

I dont think of it as separation anxiety, since she isnt anxious about it, Just does it calmly and matter of factly it probably would be called that.
Wink
I just think of it as she adores me and thinks I hung the moon and wants to be where ever I am . Rolling Eyes
Virangos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, You have a "velcro dog"! Llike so many of us. (Myself included) I swear Noelle is surgically attached to my hip.

There are many posts on this. Do a search of this site for more tips.

Something I pass out to anyone who buys a puppy from me. Mabey it can help some.

SEPARATION ANXIETY
To help your pet become accustomed to daily separation, here are some guidelines:
* Place your puppy in the area he is expected to stay when you are not home. Put on a radio and give him his toys to play with.
* Leave the house in a calm, upbeat and positive manner. Don't act unhappy or upset at the fact that you must part from your pet.
* Practice departing. Pick up your keys, put on your coat & say good-bye to the puppy then return in two or three minutes. Gradually increase the length of your absences until you can stay away for an hour or more without causing your pet to whine or chew on things. Repetitions of this sequence will help the pup get used to seeing you leave and understand that you'll be back.

A tee shirt or sock or something with your scent on it will sometimes help to.

Good luck keep us posted. Zach is still a baby and misses you his new Mommy.

In dog Years I/m Dead

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sasha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with Teddy is he watches for every indication I may leave the house. Me putting on shoes other than house slippers is his number one indicator. He then doesn't let me out of his sight for a second. He will dart out the door faster than you can blink. Never had a dog this fast. I have to pick him up ..go thro door..then lean down and put him in the door fast and shut it. I am disabled so cant get through the door very quickly. He howls at the door. I thought he was ok after I left but my sons say no. They say he never budges from that door until my truck drives up, then he is standing at the window of the door (floor length glass door). He has been this way since I got him at two months old. Have tried it all. Nothing seems to make a difference.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made. -M. Acklam
niapeas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leaving for work is like the worse......human babies don't give you the guilt trip these poodle diva's can.........mine don't cry anymore but both know i'm coming back so it's much better......Paris would cry if I wasn't in eye shot .....now when I leave they run to their day beds and I look back both are in the bed together with the sad head tilted look. Grrrrrr shooting me in the heart would hurt less.
Sasha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol oh ya they are very good at the pitiful looks arent they

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made. -M. Acklam
Pippin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because they are so intelligent.
They locate your buttons and learn right how to push them & train you to worship them! Sometimes I wonder who is really in charge.
This boy learns fast and is easy to train, but he learns fast that I am easy to train too......
My rescue dog was velcro for about 2 months, he barked for 3 1/2 hours when I left for work one day-according to the neighbors, they were VERY understanding lucky for us!
It's only been 1 week-he's experienced some really big changes and adjustments. I'm glad he's bonding with you!
He'll get more and more confident as he adjusts to his new forever home!
blakemama

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had Zach for 2 weeks tomorrow. He is so comfortable here. He still comes to the bathroom with me and follows me wherever I go. That's fine with me. When I do need to leave and not take him, he cries. I have driven around the block and come back and there's no more crying. That little guy knows me too well. He fits so well into our lives. He loves my husband as much as he loves me. When Joe's home, Zach doesn't follow me as much. He's got "dad's" lap to cuddle on.

Yep, we have our forever dog, Velcro and all.
marge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheryl

you may like seeing this web site
www.rainbowbridge.com
I found it while looking for the full rainbow bridge poem,after my daughter and grandson lost their beloved cat to a unknown accident.
It is a well maintained site. You can make a virtual residency for your pet, and send others sympathy cards, ,has a bereavement place.
a lot o f things. I didnt know about it when you lost ziggy.
I have a thread on it under the non general discussions.
They got a residency for their cat, and it really helped with their loss.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Behaviour and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: