My poodles skin is turning dark.

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My poodles skin is turning dark.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health
::  
coquetaexz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: My poodles skin is turning dark. Reply with quote

Hi Everyone .. Just wondering if any of you has experienced this with your poodles. My poodle is 10 months and his skin has always been a pinkish color. Just the other day I was bathing him and noticed that his skin was looking purplish .. it was definently a darker color. I thought perhaps since he's almost 1 year old maybe his skin color is changing to a darker color. Is this normal??? Im kinda worried now .. he's playing as usual and is very happy and bounces and doesn't show any sign of pain or being sick .. he's a happy dog as always. Just in case .. he hasn't been neutered .. I think I read something about too much testosterone might cause this .. does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i dont have an answer but my girls both have dark skin now too! sis is an apricot toy and layah is a cream mini i was wondering the same thing and some one will let us know.
my girls

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the white ones skin sometime turns dark, almost black. I am not sure exactly why but they do.

Char, mom to Sasi & Prissy - They are "my girls"♥
niapeas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris made 4 in march and just the last month I've noticed her skin a grayish color......skin under top knot is still very pink.........I thought she was starting to have dry skin so I started the omega oils.

Glad you posted it because I'm thinking now that's what it is........her skin isn't flaky are bad looking just darker.
marge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to worry anyone, but dont take the skin darkening lightly.
darkening of the skin can be a sign of a illness here is one link on this http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2111&aid=518
my friend in New Jersey wrote me this week about her white toy dog skin has about80% she used the word "black" skin.
She was taking him in for a eye visit today. I feel sure she will discuss the skin change . If she does and I hear I will tell you what her vet said.
Bella Rina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen white poodles with very grey, almost black skin.
Bella had pink skin all over but now,
there are areas of her body that has grey skin,
it's mostly where the apricot hairs grow.
Molly the Shih Tzu has very dark spots all over her body,
like huge freckles...
I wonder if it has anything to do with
"other" colors in past generations?

marge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bells
I think what bella has is a normal change in pigmentation. I dont think it is due to past colors.and is normal from what I have read.
Molly , I dont know
I never had heard of it until she was telling me. Here is a better link I just found .... read near the bottom,http://www.thedachshundnetwork.com/skincare.htm
The one called black disease sounds bad, and I hope her toy doesnt have that.
coquetaexz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your input .. I also have been reading a lot on this .. and I've read that sometimes this happens with apricot colored poodles or with poodles that had a darker colored parent. That's why their skin color might change. So Im thinking since tomy's mom was a dark red .. perhaps maybe thats why his skin is getting darker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: