My 1 year old poodle needs help - vomiting and gas

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My 1 year old poodle needs help - vomiting and gas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health
::  
msag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: My 1 year old poodle needs help - vomiting and gas Reply with quote

New here,
so pardon my ignorance if I am asking obvious questions here.
We have our teacup/miniature poodle for 8 years and just got another poodle from the rescue about 6 month ago. He is very active one year+ old.
As soon as we got him we noticed (in addition to some behavioral problems) he was trowing up almost every morning, had a loose stool and was burping and farting all the time.
After a visit to the vet he was prescribed Panacur liquid, taken it for 3 days - nothing helped. About a month ago I've taken him to the Vet again and he said that same parasite was a problem, so vet prescribed same medication. Panacur was given for another 5 days, condition improved a little the next week after the medication but now he is throwing up again, assuming that we did not get rid of the parasite completely.
1. I have some of the medication left in the bottle, should i try giving him another 4-5 days for however long it's going to last?
2. I noticed that there is same/similar medication sold on-line "Safe-Gard"
but the concentration is different - my Panacur bottle says 10% liquid & Safe-Gard says Fenbendazole - 22.2%.

Any ideas suggestions please feel free,

Thanks!
my girls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think a trip back to the vet is in order! These little ones can dehydrate so quickly.

Char, mom to Sasi & Prissy - They are "my girls"♥
Newmama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they do a stool culture? If not, I would demand one. It could be a bacteria, and they need to know which one they're treating. My vet did a culture, but treated what he suspected..because the culture results take a week or more to get back. Luckily his suspiscion was correct, and Sophia was better within a few days.

Puppylove

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the panacur for? If it was for whip worms, the treatment for that is: 3 days, then another round in 2 or 3 weeks, and the last round at 3 months.
msag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: called the vet Reply with quote

I just called the vet, Panacur was for the giardia, if i spelled it correctly, the receptionist says that Panacur was given for the diarrhea not for vomiting, if he still is vomiting it's another problem. We give both dogs (since we got the second one) A Science Diet- Sensitive stomach for and practically no table food. It seems some kind of digestive problem not a parasite, ha?
He offered new medication and a different diet.
And they offered another stool culture...
btw, last time they did the culture they had result the very next day,
I was a little suspicious, but what do I know...
poodlema

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have confidence in the vet you are using?
Roca-brown
msag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad not really, i did into his predecessor, but his one - not sure - new guy Question
my girls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the only vet in your area? I would definitely find a new vet for a second opinion. You don't want anything to happen to your little one Crying or Very sad

Char, mom to Sasi & Prissy - They are "my girls"♥
lil_MAINEiacs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be tempted to try getting a second opinion. I would want another stool culture that takes more than a day. I would want a physical, and I would want a better food than Science diet.

When do your dogs eat? My little one gets sick sometimes when her belly is empty, I had a doxie like this as well. They need a snack at bedtime or their tummy would be upset the next morning. Now, it may be more than that, which is why a 2nd opinion would be great but if the vomiting is only in the AM, I would give a snack as late as possible.

Now back to the food.. that is a really horrible food, no offense. Grain, corn, more corn, and then a poor quality protein/meat source. ( AAFCO Definition: Chicken by-product meal consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practice. ) All that corn would make anyone have diarrhea and gas!! Corn Gluten Meal was one of the ingredients that caused the recalls of pet food, plus it is a cheap, poor quality ingredient used to up the protein content of a food without them having to spend money on actual MEAT for dog food.

I would make a gradual switch to a high quality food, like Innova, Wellness, California Natural, Natures variety, etc.

Science Diet sensitive formula Ingredients

Brewers Rice, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Corn Gluten Meal
, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Egg Product, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Soybean Oil, Oat Fiber, Dried Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Iodized Salt, L-Lysine, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Tryptophan, preserved with mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.
niapeas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be looking for another vet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: