toy poodle HURT and not sure what to do

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

toy poodle HURT and not sure what to do

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> General Poodle
::  
Kfung

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: toy poodle HURT and not sure what to do Reply with quote

Hello all,

This is a shot in the dark, but I think we owe it to her. We adopted a three year old toy poodle about two months ago. Shots were up to date and there was no investment. Two weeks after we received her, she was injured and broke her front leg. I was not home but my 12 year old son said she jumped from a table onto the floor and was injured. We did not push him about it, but I feel maybe she got under his feet and he stepped on her, considering she follows you everwhere and she is really little.

Anyway, we got the dog for our kids and I have to say, I am the one she adores because she follows me everywhere I go and nobody else. We took her to the vet and the leg was indeed broke in two places. he gave us four options, Splint the leg for three months for $500, Amputate the leg for $900, surgery for $2,500 or put her down. We had a black lab for the last sevin years that we had to put down du to cancer and in that sevin years, out vet bills were as minimal as you could have. We did not want to put this dog done that we had for a couple weeks, so we elected to splint the leg for $500. A month later, the splint began to smell badly and the vet removed the splint to find and infection where it was rubbing her leg. The spint would not work and the leg is still broke. We brought her home and she is sweet and happy and under no pain. She stays off the leg but occassionally she hurts it and cries. It is really sad, but we can not afford to have it amputated or have the surgery.

My question is.....does anyone know of any programs that could help this dog? She is really sweet and we do not want to have to put her down for a broken leg. She is not a horse, but again, we can not afford it.

Also, if a group of people would want to help, that would be great. You never know. Of course, if I did take a collection and it was not enough, it would be returned. I know the request is crazy, but I feel I offer it to Izzy.

I have a picture, but I can not figure out how to post it.
Thanks
Kyle[/img]
Deb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a pet can be expensive does the vet offer payment plans? It would be really sad to put such a young dog down over this, there was someone on this list who went through the same thing. They decided to amputate the leg and the dog went on to do just fine. You could contact a poodle rescue to see if they could find her a new home where they could afford to treat her. Wishing you the best.
Sasha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact all the local vets about a payment plan and maybe some generosity on their part. 500 for a splint is crazy insane. We had a doberman puppy yrs ago get a broken leg at 2 weeks. Vet wrapped gauze thick on two tongue depressors and wrapped that around his leg. Being that it of course was tender he didnt mess with it and I made him sleep with me. It too was broken in two places but our vet said they were clean breaks, no splintering. You could ask humane society in your area for help. They usually have a vet that works with them. Good luck and i know it has to break your heart. Their little bones are frailer than even they know. My 3 eat cheese a LOT so am hoping the calcium works for them like it does for us. Good luck to both of you

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made. -M. Acklam
BorderKelpie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is your little girl doing now?
Is the infection clearing up yet?

You may want to try a field splint and crate rest, but I wouldn't be wrapping an infected leg. Get the infection cleared as quickly as possible (antibiotics or wash frequently with antimicrobials) and try a soft splint.
Best wishes for the poor girl.

Was she adopted through a rescue? If so, maybe they can help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> General Poodle All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: