My poodle is going bald

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My poodle is going bald
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health
::  
Maximus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: My poodle is going bald Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've a tiny toy poodle. He's slowly going bald and I don't know the reason.
I have noticed though that he's getting pimple looking blisters on his skin before he starts to lose his hair in that area. I thought it might be dry skin so I used baby oil and olive oil on the areas but it hasn't help much.

Can anyone offer some kind of input?

Max
Paz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Loosing hair Reply with quote

Hi Max,

It's curious, is the first time I hear from a poodle going bald Crying or Very sad , please check with your vet, but the few reasons I can think of for something like this are: a) skin disorder, allergy to fleas, ticks or something in the dog habitat. b) stress, pay a lot of attention to your pup, get him exercised and let him feel loved at every opportunity you have. c) Diet, sometimes the dog food can affect their skin, so you might want to try another dog food brand, check with your vet to see what they recommend for your poodle (based on age, health, activity, etc.)

You said he gets pimple blisters in the areas, so you might want to treat those areas with Sulfodane or a similar product, to alleviate the itching and prevent infections.

Hope you can find the right treatment! Let us know what the vet said, and how your pup progress.
thePela

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know how to stop a dog shedding and getting hairs everwhere? Sad Thanks in advance!!! Very Happy
Toto
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Hair loss Reply with quote

Hi ThePela,

You don't specify if you are talking about a poodle or not, and think you are talking about another breed.

It's quite rare to see a poodle loosing hair, unless there's a skin health problem.

We had Loli for a year and a half now, and she did not loose hair on any season, I'm more used to finding hair from my children and wife rather than from Loli Rolling Eyes

Do you own a poodle or another dog breed?
Toto
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Hi Max,

So how's your poodle going with this problem? did you find a way to treat him? What did the vet say?

Let us know Smile

Toto
Maximus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Shampoo Reply with quote

Hi all, thanks for keeping track on us! Laughing

so far the only indication from the vet was to use a special shampoo, which will stop the itching. It did work, but i don't see new hair in the hairless areas, so maybe we need some patience.

Max
Pati

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Max,
I am new to the site and found your question interesting because our little poodle-Charlie(she's a girl) is 11years old and suddenly developed the exact same sympyoms as your dog. She had little pimple like blisters,dry skin followed by thinning and balding spots. She has always been in excellent health and the sweetest disposition ever! Our vet took some snippets of skin(ouch!) to have tested for various allergies. He put her on a diet of either kangaroo or duck. My daughter found the duck(canned food) and has been giving her that. She is now also allowed to have boiled chicken breast. They are trying to figure out what could be causing this but it is taking so long and I'm not sure if I see much results. Oh I forgot to mention Charlie lived at home with the family until recently when my daughter moved out on her own and took the dog with her to her new home. It was during this period that she has developed this condition. How old is your dog and have there been any changes in it's diet or lifestyle? In the meantime I am still searching for answers and will keep you posted. I would like to know how it is going on your end. Best of luck!
Pati
Iggy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no authority by any means. There are others here a lot more knowledgable and I am sure they will respond. However, to me it sounds like she might be stressed with the recent move. Maybe she misses you to much? They are so sensitive, I just wonder if that might have something to do with it? Good luck and keep us posted!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds all so familar. My friend's siamese cat has the same condition, little pimples and bald spots.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends white show dog went the same way about 15 yrs ago. She worked for the vets and they never discovered what it was. She used to use olive oil to stop his skin from drying out, and cover his skin when he went outside. There is a big problem in Standard poodles called sebacious adonitis..SA for short, which is the same kind of thing. Although its not been diagnosed officially in Toys. There has been a lot of looking into it and they seem to think that regular boosters break down the immune system and have lead to S.A. , Addisons disease, etc. There is no known cure, but have heard good reports, that the food 'Royal Canin poodle' is great for the coat and skin problems. Also giving an oil of evening primrose capsule daily can help. 'Groomers supplies.'..phone number: 01635 581958 (U.K) do a range of EPO shampoos, and EPO food supplements. Myself and a friend trialled the shampoos back in 2000 in the grooming shop. We found that using EPO instead of the vet prescribed chemical shampoos, gave better, faster results..Its the only shampoo I use on my dogs now. Hope this helps
(am I allowed to put in a phone number???)

Tracy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: