Barking - help !

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barking - help !
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Behaviour and Training
::  
Kasst157

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nee did he go to the mat by himself after he barked? That is too funny and cute. He is smart, but like you said sometimes it's hard for them to control themselves. Gucci loves to steal tissues and he knows it wrong. If I saw him, without me saying anything he runs to hide and then peeks out to see if I'm still mad.
Nee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I have to tell him to go to his mat which he does straightaway. I can see a guilty look on his face with a sorry mummy expression but there has to be a bit of tough love if he is to learn right from wrong. He's five years old so he does need to know who is boss but also who loves him the best (that's the easy bit !)
paulagene

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our poodle does not bark alot. I have a shih tzu who does and what our trainer had us do was to train them to speak and then use a command to stop it. Our instructor does not use like stop or no barking but says hello and she stops immediately. Not sure if this will work for your but it does work even tho you may be thinking no I can't teach them to speak but it works.
Nee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paula - thank you, I will definitely try that - its something that I'm still battling with, on a lesser extent now, but there is definitely room for improvement
Confused
mom2seven

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe barks a lot at neighbors or when she sticks her ball somewhere and wants me to fetch it.
Since this is an older thread I was wondering if you all made progress with the barking?
She also really barks at males, not a fan!
Kasst157

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gucci still barks at people outside. Gucci and Miu Miu barks when people come over but gets over it fast if it's someone that's been here before. But if it's their first time then they do go crazy barking. They will stop after 5-10 mins but will start again if they go to the bathroom and come out. It's like they just stepped back into the house again.

If it's someone outside they will stop if I tell them it's ok. But when people are over nothing stops them. They will stop when they are finished with their barking business
Nee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - a lot has happened since my last post - I sold my house and am now living in a ground floor unit with a small yard, in a unit complex. By the time I moved there, I pretty much had Peiko's barking under control. However, he sometimes barks at the lizards that are running around the complex - the lizards have an average length of about 18 inches or so from head to the end of their tail (they have quite a long tail). He'll see them on the other side of the fence and try to get through the fence (which he can't because I've put a plastic wire mesh along the fence line). He'll wag his tail and growl very quietly. However, the lizards just stare at him so he gives a short sharp and high pitched bark. That's when I come out and tell him to go back inside which he doesn't like because he loves playing outside. He's improving but I guess he can't help himself sometimes. The only other time he barks is when someone knocks on my door - when I say 'quiet', he stops so we have come a long way.
mom2seven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you, maybe I could get your dog to come over and train Zoe to stop her barking.
rbw62

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Watcdogs Reply with quote

I hate to use dog, I never say that about Gizmo. But his job is Security, he is good at it. He sits in his daybed and looks out the window for strange cars, dogs or people, He sleeps in our bed at night, if he hears anything out of ordinary, he lets me know.

But he has one bad habit, when anyone says goodbye or bye, he goes barking nuts!

I have tried to stop him and correct him to no avail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Behaviour and Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: